A Beautiful Cemetery

While on one of our many drives around Nova Scotia, I spotted this cemetery up a hill to my right.  I practically gave my self whiplash and scared the heck out of my driver when I jumped  and gasped, "Oh my gosh, we need to go there!"  We made a note of where we were, and seeing as how it was close enough to home, we would come back.  
I don't usually make a point of visiting graveyards, but the ones in Nova Scotia are so much older, and therefore far more interesting than the ones we have here.
I have done some searching, but I have no idea what the name of this place is.  I think we must have entered from the backside, because at no point did I say see a sign.
We saw many old cemeteries along our traveled roads through the province, but this one stood out. First of all, it is on a large hill, with big, old oak trees.  Secondly, it is huge and one could easily enjoy a long stroll along its paths.  My first question when I saw it was, "How on earth do they maintain it so well?"  I couldn't imagine mowing and trimming around all those walls and memorials, not to mention the steep hills.  The answer is, they don't. The ground is completely covered in the most lush carpet of moss I've ever had the pleasure to walk upon. Because we don't have oak trees here, I also marveled at the acorns scattered all over the place.  If I want a few acorns for my fall displays, I have to pay a price.
A lot of the graves date back to the early 1800's and there are many plots with short walls around them, for landscaped purposes mostly, to create a level area.









Comments

  1. I would LOVE to walk around there. It looks so peaceful and calm.

    I love looking at old headstones. Some of them are pure art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful resting place. The dappled light through the trees is just lovely and your shots around the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place. Old ones like that have beautiful stones and sad stories I am sure. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is beautiful, so serene looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The place is really beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. A really lovely cemetery! How nice that you were able to stop and look around. Your pictures are beautiful. Happy to visit and meet you today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea, this is an amazing old cemetary. I think the ones that really draw my attention have gorgeous old trees surrounding them with a park like setting. It actually appears cozy. The old staircase in this one is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning, sweet Andrea! First of all, what a JOY to stop in for a visit...how I have missed you and your beautiful blog posts. With the approach of Autumn I am hoping my days will slow down and I can get back into the groove of blogging {{smiles}} I hope you are well....and I must say that I am THRILLED to have you joining the exchange again - you are a dear!

    Your photos are stunning, my friend. I, too, could easily spend hours walking through this place looking at the headstones. Thanks for sharing! Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love reading the comments. Let me know you have been visiting, and leave a little note. Also let me know if you have a blog, I would love to stop by for a visit.

Popular posts from this blog

A Blog Event That Caught My Eye

Those Colourful Fuzzy Things